[Install & use]
New Alignment API 4.6. Get it!
Alignment API and Alignment Server
The Alignment API is an API and implementation for expressing and
sharing ontology alignments.
Using ontologies is the priviledged way to achieve interoperability
among heterogeneous systems within the Semantic web. However, as the
ontologies underlying two systems are not necessarily compatible,
they may in turn need to be reconcilied.
Ontology reconciliation requires most of the time to find the
correspondences between entities (e.g., classes, objects,
properties) occuring in the ontologies. We call a set of such
correspondences an alignment.
We have designed a format for expressing alignments in a uniform
way. The goal of this format is to be able to share on the web the
available alignments. The format is expressed in RDF,
so it is freely extensible.
The Alignment API itself is a Java description of tools for
accessing the common format. It defines five main interfaces
(OntologyNetworks, Alignment, Cell, Relation and Evaluator) and proposes the following services:
- Storing, finding, and sharing alignments;
- Piping alignment algorithms (improving an existing alignment);
- Manipulating (thresholding and hardening);
- Generating processing output (transformations, axioms, rules);
- Generating tests and comparing alignments (diff, precision, recall).
Here is the Alignment API and implementation homepage. It is
hosted by gforge.inria.fr which helps the developement process (by
integrating theses pages within the SVN repository for instance).
If you use this software and want to give it credit, please cite:
Jérôme David, Jérôme Euzenat, François Scharffe, Cássia Trojahn dos
Santos, The Alignment API 4.0, Semantic web journal 2(1):3-10, 2011
Please note: The Alignment API is... an API (this may be unfortunate, but it has been named appropriately).
Hence, it is not a matcher. A few examples of trivial matchers are provided with the Alignment API which will indeed match ontologies.
Taking such examples, which can be programmed in a couple of hours, as
real matchers and comparing this with other matchers is meaningless
(only when these matchers are worse than that, this is a meaningful result).
Moreover, mentioning that these systems have been compared with "The
Alignment API" without qualification is not appropriate. So
please, compare your systems with serious competitors (hint: those
which publish papers telling that their systems are good matchers; you
cannot find such a paper about the Alignment API or one of its sample matcher).
page and Release notes
- Official releases.
- Install & use
- Quick start with the API.
- Using the Alignment API through command
programming and advanced programming.
Extending the API and offering alignment server services.
- Alignment Server
- Installing a server that will generate and store alignments
- Alignment format and
the Expressive and Declarative Ontology Alignment Language (EDOAL)
- How to express alignments that the API can input or output.
- API structure, our
implementation, and its command-line interface
- Getting around the API
- Alignment server architecture and message specification (REST and SOAP)
- Storing and sharing alignments
- Wrapping ontology APIs
- The package contains an ontology API wrapper called ontowrap
allowing for using the Alignment API with various ontology APIs
(JENA, OWL API 1.0, 3.0, SKOS API and our SKOSLite API).
- Wordnet extension
- How to use wordnet within the API
- Registered annotations
- List of extension labels that are declared (and should not be
used by others)
- Generating tests and evaluating results
- Using the API for evaluating alignments and matchers.
- Bug and feature trackers
- Notify your bugs and request features here
- SVN access
- You can browse and you can join.
- Included libraries and dependencies and a
small step towards Maven
- Wonderful components that the Alignement API and server use.
- Basically, open source (LGPL).
- When it is due.
- Systems using the API
- Because we are proud to be used.
- NeOn Alignment plug-in
- Alignment API and server plug-in for the NeOn toolkit.
- Stripped down Alignment API and implementation for Android.
- The Ontology Alignment Evaluation Initiative: Benchmarks for evaluating ontology matchers and benchmarking campaigns (since 2004).
- The central resource for ontology matching and alignment information.
$Id: index.html 1946 2014-06-04 16:10:45Z euzenat $